|Wednesday, 21 May 2008, 19:31 HKT/SGT|
KUALA LUMPUR, May 21, 2008 - (ACN Newswire) - On the third day of its World Congress on Information Technology, the World Information Technology and Services Alliance (WITSA) announced the formation of a Green ICT Forum. Its program will promote:
- Ideas for the use of ICT to tackle global environmental challenges
- A Green Code of Conduct for the ICT sector.
- Best practices in improving the energy efficiency of the ICT sectors' products and services
- Ways that ICT products and services can be used to reduce global energy consumption
- Best practices in reducing the impact of e-waste
WITSA invites governments, companies and other NGOs to work with us to meet the program's goals. Founding WITSA members include the national ICT associations from Australia, Canada, Egypt, Finland, Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Syria, United Kingdom and United States. The Forum will initially be chaired by Mr. John Higgins, Director General of Intellect, the WITSA member from the UK.
"Leading companies in the ICT sector have made real progress in reducing their energy impact, but more needs to be done, especially as the demand for ICT grows", said Mr. Higgins. "More importantly, though, ICT has to be a major tool in helping consumers and other business sectors reduce their carbon footprint".
Founded in 1978, the World Information Technology and Services Alliance (WITSA) is a leading consortium of ICT industry association members from nearly 70 economies around the world. WITSA's members represent more than 90 percent of the world ICT market.
As the leading recognized voice of the global ICT Industry, WITSA aims to drive transformation and grow the industry. WITSA believes ICT is the key driving force to enable governments, businesses and societies for global development and economic growth.
WITSA is dedicated to the following:
- Advocating international public policies that advances the industry's growth and development;
- Facilitating international trade and investment of ICT products and services through our global network of contacts;
- Promoting industry cooperation and strengthen our national associations through the sharing of knowledge, experience, and critical information;
- Publishing global ICT research through WITSA Digital Planet;
- Awarding signature events, World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) and Global Public Policy Summit (GPPS) to different host countries around the world; and
- Organizing and hosting the Global ICT Excellence Awards to recognize the most outstanding ICT users.
For more information on WITSA, please visit www.witsa.org.
Kuala Lumpur: +6012 932 7154 (during WCIT2008)
USA: +1 703 284-5333
Topic: Corporate Announcement
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.