|Wednesday, 21 May 2008, 19:36 HKT/SGT|
KUALA LUMPUR, May 21, 2008 - (ACN Newswire) - On the third day of its World Congress on Information Technology, the World Information Technology and Services Alliance (WITSA) announced positions on Internet governance and World Trade Organization (WTO) negotiation, and the establishment of a Green ICT Forum.
The WITSA Public Policy Committee on Saturday issued resolutions calling for an open, reliable and innovative Internet governed by the leadership of industry and for the successful conclusion of WTO negotiations including an ambitious agreement on services. The Alliance also announced the establishment of a WITSA Green ICT Forum. The Forum's program will include the promotion of a Green Code of Conduct for the ICT sector and will focus on the role of ICT in tackling climate change and other environmental challenges.
"WITSA strongly supports public policy initiatives that allow for the kind of innovation and growth that have benefited so many thus far," said WITSA President Phil Bond. "The Internet is one billion users strong; it must remain open, innovative and stable if we are to get to the next billion. Private sector leadership and involvement can ensure that it retains those characteristics.
"Global services trade will be critical to advancing the world economy in the 21st Century," Bond added. "Therefore, the ICT industry repeats its call for a successful conclusion to the Doha Round."
In its resolution on the Internet, Internet governance and business interests, the members of WITSA strongly support private sector leadership and initiatives to develop and deliver market-based solutions to the challenges faced by the Internet and its users. WITSA continues its support of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers' (ICANN) consultative approach to managing the Internet's technical coordination issues, through effective mechanisms for dispute resolution, registrar competition, and a transparent review process. The Alliance also committed to continue its involvement in the Internet Governance Forum and its efforts to build an information society based on an open exchange of views on key issues, and said it supports IGF's engagement with developing economies.
WITSA's resolution on the WTO Doha Round expresses its members' intentions to urge their governments to seek from key trading partners full commitments in computer and related services to ensure access to growing market opportunities abroad. The resolution detailed the benefits of fair and open trade in promoting economic development and growth and calls for governments to work with WTO members to conclude the Doha Round, including strong commitments in ICT, as soon as possible.
In a statement on the role of technology in energy efficiency, WITSA called upon its members to adhere to a Green Code of Conduct for the ICT Sector that would serve as both guidelines and a measurement to the industry's attempts to use technology in tackling climate change. The Alliance also touted the fact that the industry is taking a leading role in the development of alternative, low-carbon technologies that will help to decouple economic growth from energy consumption.
The resolutions are available at the WITSA web site via the following link:
- WITSA Resolution on the Internet, Internet Governance and Business Interests at the 2008 World Congress on Information Technology in Kuala Lumpur:
- WITSA Resolution on the successful conclusion of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Doha Round of trade negotiations, including an ambitious agreement in services, at the 2008 World Congress on Information Technology in Kuala Lumpur: http://www.witsa.org/kl08/WTO_and_IT_Services_final.doc
Founded in 1978, the World Information Technology and Services Alliance (WITSA) is a leading consortium of ICT industry association members from nearly 70 economies around the world. WITSA's members represent more than 90 percent of the world ICT market.
As the leading recognized voice of the global ICT Industry, WITSA aims to drive transformation and grow the industry. WITSA believes ICT is the key driving force to enable governments, businesses and societies for global development and economic growth.
WITSA is dedicated to the following:
- Advocating international public policies that advances the industry's growth and development;
- Facilitating international trade and investment of ICT products and services through our global network of contacts;
- Promoting industry cooperation and strengthen our national associations through the sharing of knowledge, experience, and critical information;
- Publishing global ICT research through WITSA Digital Planet;
- Awarding signature events, World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) and Global Public Policy Summit (GPPS) to different host countries around the world; and
- Organizing and hosting the Global ICT Excellence Awards to recognize the most outstanding ICT users.
For more information on WITSA, please visit www.witsa.org.
Kuala Lumpur: +6012 932 7154 (during WCIT2008)
USA: +1 703 284-5333
Topic: Corporate Announcement
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2020 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.