SIWW, Singapore, June 26, 2010 - (ACN Newswire) - Building on the global momentum of initiating concrete action to address water security issues, the first-ever Asia-Pacific Water Ministers' Forum brings together influential public sector leaders for a constructive and informative dialogue session chaired by Singapore's Ambassador-at-Large Prof Tommy Koh during the Singapore International Water Week.
The Forum, themed "Water Security - Good Governance and Sustainable Solutions", leverages Asia-Pacific's diversity and rich history in managing water concerns to champion policies and solutions for maximum water security. This is in line with the "Ministers for Water Security" initiative presented by the Asia-Pacific Water Forum (APWF) at the fifth World Water Forum in Istanbul last year.
Organised by Singapore's Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources and PUB Singapore, in close cooperation with APWF, the Forum provides a timely platform for water leaders to exchange best water governance practices and to discuss concrete steps in addressing challenges in bringing sustainable water solutions to their communities.
Highlights of the Forum include addresses from His Excellency Mohd Nasheed, President of Maldives and Mr Yoshiro Mori, President of the Asia-Pacific Water Forum. The forum will also feature a Ministerial Roundtable from which a summary document will be presented at the second Asia-Pacific Water Summit, tentatively scheduled for 2012 and disseminated at other relevant global forums by the APWF.
Distinguished speakers at the Asia-Pacific Water Ministers Forum include:
- HE Mohamed Nasheed, President, Republic of Maldives
- HE Ramesh Chandra Sen, Minister of Water Resources, Bangladesh
- HE Pehin Dato Suyoi Osman, Minister of Development, Brunei Darussalam
- HE Dr. Mok Mareth, Senior Minister and Minister of Environment, Cambodia
- The Honorable Mrs. Carrie Lam, Secretary for Development, Hong Kong SAR, China
- HE Shri Vincent H Pala, Minister of State for Water Resources, India
- HE Prof. Lakshman Dhoble, Minister for Water Supply and Sanitation, Govt of Maharashtra, India
- Mr. Taizo Mikazuki, Senior Vice-Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Japan
- HE Bal Krishna Khand, Minister for Irrigation, Nepal
- HE Tuisugaletaua A Sofara Aveau, Minister of Works, Transport and Infrastructure, Samoa
- HE Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, Singapore
- The Honorable Mrs. Nirupama Rajapakse, Deputy Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, Sri Lanka
- HE Suwit Khunkitti, Minister for Natural Resources & Environment, Thailand
- HE Kausea Natano, Minister of Public Utilities and Industries, Tuvalu
- HE Yoshiro Mori, President, Asia-Pacific Water Forum
- Mdm Erna Witoelar, Vice-Chair, Asia-Pacific Water Forum Governing Council
- Dr. Noeleen Heyzer, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- Mr. Loic Fauchon, President, World Water Council
- Mr. Arjun Thapan, Special Senior Advisor (Infrastructure and Water), Office of the President, Asian Development Bank
- Prof. Toshio Koike, Chair, APWF Steering Group on Water and Climate Change
The Forum will be held on 28 June 2010 (Monday) from 2.30om to 5.30pm at Suntec Singapore International Convention & Exhibition Centre (Level 3, Gallery East) For more information, please visit www.siww.com.sg.
About Singapore International Water Week (SIWW)
The Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) is the global platform to share and co-create innovative water solutions. The biennial event gathers stakeholders from the global water industry to share best practices, showcase the latest technologies and tap business opportunities. SIWW is part of the strategic programme of the Singapore Government to grow the water industry and develop water technologies.
Held in between the main SIWW editions, the SIWW Spotlight series are exclusive by-invitation events to continue the dialogue from SIWW and foster ongoing exchanges on pressing challenges faced by the water industry worldwide. This meeting of minds focuses on critical issues and discussions in greater depth, where the outcomes will shape the programme and content for SIWW.
These events are organised by Singapore International Water Week Pte Ltd, a company set up by Singapore's Ministry of the Environment & Water Resources and PUB, Singapore's national water agency. The 7th Singapore International Water Week will be held in conjunction with the 5th World Cities Summit and the 3rd CleanEnviro Summit Singapore, from 10 - 14 July 2016 at the Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. For more information, visit www.siww.com.sg.
Burson Marsteller for Singapore International Water Week
Tel: +65 6829 9333
Singapore International Water Week
Tel: +65 6731 3108
Source: Singapore International Water Week (SIWW)
Topic: Trade Show or Conference
Sectors: Water, Environment, Daily News
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.